Saturday 17 August 2013

UMASS BABY!

Alohaaa!

I thought it was about time for a blog post as I have finally found 30 minutes to lie down on my bed and write it...(even though its 11pm).

During the days it's non-stop and then at night I'm too tired to do anything. However, tomorrow we have our first 'lie-in', so I can afford a later bedtime...rebel, I know ;)

Sooooo...

I have no recollection of dates or days because, right now, I'm eating, sleeping and breathing hockey so my brain can only cope thinking as far back as beginning this blog. So bare with me!

So for these 2 weeks we are in 'pre-season'. This is where there is no lectures or uni work, literally just hockey. The first and second year students (freshmen and sophomores) are staying in dorms along a corridor, which is obviously great fun and just like starting boarding school all over again!

Near the end of August I will be moving into my permanent dorm with an American girl who's also on the hockey team :)

(University of Massachusetts Campus)

After literally dumping my suitcases in my temporary pre-season dorm the craziness began...


The first day was filled with standard stuff like physicals, meetings, getting equipment etc etc. Then it was all hockey timeeeee.


However first we had to complete the mile test. We had all been set target times that we were training for over summer and mine was 6.30. It was super hot (for an English kid) at 9am but we all ran it as a group and it was really motivating! I finished in a time of 6.33 which I am really happy about but also know I could've got those 3 seconds. Next time for sure...

On Tuesday we have the 300s fitness test so I'll be trying to hit my times in those as well!

A 'typical' day so far in pre-season has kinda gone like this...

- Breakfast 8pm
- Hockey 9am-11.15am.
- Ice Bath.
- EAT.
- Hockey 3pm-5.15pm.
- Ice Bath.
- EAT.
- SLEEP!!


Then there are extra things incorporated into the day such as video analysis, meetings or lifting in the gym.

(How not to ice bath...)

I'm having such a good time and everyone is so lovely! The team are great and so far I am loving the American uni life!!

The food is amazing! I get a cheeky little swipe card to get all my meals and there is so much choice and variation from sushi to steak, salad, pasta, pizza, sandwiches, pork, chicken oh I could go on...sweet potato fries...salmon...stir fry...Mmm Mmm Mmmmm.


(Just in case anyone wondered ^ BBQ Pork Steak, SO GOOD.)


Also, it is hilarious how some of the American girls react when I speak or say words they don't, such as 'full-stop', which they call 'period'. Or even a 'car-park'...parking lot. I have also figured they have no idea what a 'hen do' or 'stag do' is........their loss. Hahaaa. There are plenty more examples as well!

I do have a new America phone number now so don't text my old number. I'm using whatsapp to message you guys from home so message me on Facebook/twitter if its not working cause I'll need to alter your number to international :)

Yes, everything is super American out here. Literally how you see it in the movies haha...I'm even picking up some of their lingo ;)

I have been so unbelievably super busy that I'm pretty disorganised and have hardly had any contact with anyone from home! SORRY! Once I get settled into my dorm and the craziness has died down, I'll have it all under control and be back in contact with family and friends ha! But I'm fine and having a blast!

Well done to all you little clever beans from Casterton and Carlisle that got into Uni, I'm proud :) I'm chuffed the revision seemed to pay off for everyone and I'm also happy with my final results of ABB in English, Business and History of Art.

Ok, I'm genuinely about to fall asleep so I'm going to finish up...but I could literally write plenty of pages about everything so far, but I just wanted to touch base with anyone interested!

I'll be posting properly once I'm settled in my dorm and we've had our first game but in the mean time I might post some more pics!

Ciao,

Hannah x 

No comments:

Post a Comment