Wednesday 16 July 2014

My Summer Reads...

The only time of the year that I get to sit down and read a book is in the summer. This obviously excludes all the wonderful textbooks I read sooooo much of at university...hmm. Anyway, regardless of whether I actually read my college books or not, I do look forward to picking a selection of books every summer.

"Never trust anyone who has not brought a book with them." - Lemony Snicket

Reading is one thing that I really enjoy and I wish I had time to do it more often. If I pick up a book when I'm at university I end up feeling guilty because there is always something else I should be doing! For this reason I really look forward to buying new books every summer.

"The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." - Jane Austen

Just a pre-warning for any book lovers out there. I enjoy a variety of books but when I'm relaxing on holiday I personally prefer a simple, light-hearted read. So, here are some short reviews of each book I have read over the summer :)

1. Being Binky by Alexandra Felstead

For anyone who knows me well they can confirm that I am a self-confessed 'Made In Chelsea' addict! If you're not familiar with 'Made In Chelsea' it's a reality TV show which follows the lives of the young, wealthy and good looking Chelsea stars. Binky has always been one of my favourite characters on the show and I couldn't resist buying her book. It was a very fun, easy read with lots of exclusive gossip and stories! The book also opened up to more difficult times in Binky's life, such as bullying and her parents divorce. Overall it was an enjoyable and interesting read!



Rated 3 stars.

2. The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

Not many people are aware of the YouTube community, but for 3 years now I've been following numerous internet sensations. Therefore, John Green's book was a must read as he's also a hugely successful YouTuber. I loved every page of this book and I read it in a couple of days. The way in which Green approaches the difficult topic of teenagers with cancer is sensitive yet cleverly devised. He tells the story truly from a teenagers perspective and creates a story of love, happiness and adventure out of such a sad, heart-breaking reality. Even though I shed many tears reading this book, I would definitely read it again. Highly recommended for all ages, as it's a story I think everyone can relate to.


Rated 4 stars.

3. Confessions of a Wild Child by Jackie Collins.

Some say you should never judge a book by its cover but I have to admit, in this case, that's exactly what I did. The combination of the 'Wild Child' title and the summer scene of poolside tanning with a cocktail in hand, urged me to buy it. I thoroughly enjoyed this book as it included family dramas, spontaneous adventures and the wild sex lives of the teenagers! The main character, Lucky Santangelo, is sent to an all girls boarding school and I could really relate to her experiences there as I went to boarding school too. This was a fantastic book and I can't wait to read the other books on Lucky's love life, family fortune and misbehaviour!


Rated 4 stars.

4. Finding Harmony by Sally Hyder

'Finding Harmony' is a true story about Sally Hyder who was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis. The day that Sally met a golden Labrador named Harmony, her life changed for the better. The book follows Sally and her family's day to day routine and how one dog changed her outlook on life. I did like this book as I'm a huge animal lover. However, the book had quite a long, slow lead up to when Sally gets her dog. I was beginning to lose interest in the book as I was more intrigued to read about the training of her dog than her background story. Either way, the book is an emotional roller coaster but in the end one dog transforms it into a heart warming story.


Rated 2 stars.

5. Daddy's Little Princess by Cathy Glass

Now, I haven't actually read this book yet but it's sitting on my bedside table waiting to be opened. I regularly read material by Cathy Glass I wanted to include it this review as I absolute love her work. Cathy Glass is an inspirational woman who has fostered children for years, all ages, short or long term. All of the children she fosters have shocking life stories which she individually publishes into books. I have already read 8 of Cathy's books and each one offered an insight into a life you can't even imagine, full of sexual and physical abuse, drugs and poverty. As heart wrenching and saddening the stories are, I do like to read them as it puts life into perspective and reminds me how lucky I am. I encourage you to read any of Cathy's books as they show the sacrifices she has made to foster such challenging children but she perseveres in order to transform their lives for the better.

Seeing as I haven't read this particular book yet, I'll rate Cathy Glass as an author. 

Rated (Cathy Glass) 5 stars.

Hope you enjoyed this post!

"If one cannot enjoy reading a book over and over again, there is no use in reading it at all" - Oscar Wilde

Ciao,

Hannah x

No comments:

Post a Comment